Once a year the District Governor makes an official visit
to each club in the District (See the schedule above). The club members are encouragted to invite spouses/partners, as well as potential club members to the
meeting. The purpose of the visit is:
- To allow the District Governor to communicate with the Club members;
- To introduce the RI President's theme;
- To help "further the cause of Rotary" by:
- To be a useful counsellor to further the Object of Rotary among the Clubs in the District and to assist those Clubs that may need some guidance;
- To motivate Rotarians to participate in service activities to strengthen the programs of Rotary;
- To bring attention to important Rotary issues as they pertain to both the RI and District levels;
- To recognize the contributions of Rotarians in the Club.
Meeting with the Club Executive or
- This meeting takes place prior to or just after the Club Meeting and generally would last 1 1/2 - 2 hour(s); the meeting is presided by the District Governor; the
Assistant Governor may wish to introduce the District Governor;
- Records that should be made available and appropriate copies made for the Governor are: copy of the Planning
Guide for Effective Rotary Clubs (copies for each Board Member), current year’s Board members, Budget, prior year’s Financial Statement and copies of the Club Bulletin.
Lodging: The District Governor will
advise you of the need for overnight accommodations; clubs are not expected to be responsible for lodging.
- The District Governor and spouse are guests of your club for the Rotary meeting.
- Your AG will offer to introduce the governor and spouse if you prefer. The Governor’s presentation is the program for the club and it is not appropriate to schedule any other program that day. A projection screen may be needed for the presentation.
- Encourage members to plan arriving early for the meeting or staying late in order to visit with the District Governor.
- Presentations of Paul Harris Fellows, induction of new members and other honors are especially appropriate during the District Governor’s visit and the District
Governor should be asked to participate in such events.
- It is not appropriate to fine the Governor or AG, nor charge the Governor and spouse or the AG for meals.
- The Club President and Club Board should fully comprehend that the District Governor is not there to tell a club how it should be run, but share ideas about growing
and strengthening Rotary.
Gifts: Personal gifts are discouraged.
Instead it is the Governor’s wish that the Club use Club Funds toward one of their projects, or make a contribution to PolioPlus, The Rotary Foundation on behalf of the Governor’s